The storm surrounding Megyn Kelly’s decision to interview Info Wars host Alex Jones continues to swirl.
And it may prove to be the end of Megyn Kelly.
When Kelly announced she would interview Alex Jones – who once claimed the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax – critics blasted her for giving a platform to a controversial figure.
But what began as media criticism morphed into various entities taking action.
J.P. Morgan Chase announced they were pulling their commercials from Kelly’s show over the interview.
“JPMorgan Chase & Co. is asking NBC to remove local TV ads and digital spots from Megyn Kelly’s NBC newsmagazine until after her interview with Infowars founder Alex Jones airs.
The Wall Street Journal reported that the company had asked for the withdrawal of the spots, as well as on other NBC News programming and promotions for the interview. A source confirmed the report.
Kristin Lemkau, chief marketing officer, tweeted earlier on Monday that “as an advertiser, I’m repulsed that @megynkelly would give a second of airtime to someone who says Sandy Hook and Aurora are hoaxes.”
Kelly was also set to host a fundraiser for Sandy Hook Promise, an anti-gun organization that pushes for gun grabbing schemes like a national gun registration database.
She will no longer host that event.
Time Magazine reports:
“Sandy Hook Promise, a leading gun violence prevention organization, released a statement on Monday that the NBC host will no longer emcee the organization’s annual Promise Champions Gala on June 14 in Washington D.C.
“This decision was spurred by NBC’s planned broadcast of Kelly’s interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who believes the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, CT, was a hoax,” the statement read.
“Sandy Hook Promise cannot support the decision by Megyn or NBC to give any form of voice or platform to Alex Jones and have asked Megyn Kelly to step down as our Promise Champion Gala host. It is our hope that Megyn and NBC reconsider and not broadcast this interview,” said Nicole Hockley, co-Founder and Managing Director.”
Parents and relatives of the Sandy Hook victims will not watch the show and have called for NBC to pull the program.
The New York Times reports:
“Parents of the Newtown victims have been harassed and threatened by conspiracy theorists, who accuse them of fabricating the massacre. This month, a Florida woman was sentenced to prison for issuing death threats to one Newtown family.
Ms. Hassinger, who said in a telephone interview that she would not watch the program, said her family has been bombarded with requests for evidence that her mother was killed.
“We have been harassed repeatedly by people who we call hoaxers that think this hasn’t happened. When there is going to be such a widely available interview with attention given to one of the hoaxer ringleaders, it is going to unleash the trolls on us tenfold all over again.”
Some people on social media called for a boycott of the program and the network, and some shared information about the advertisers for the program.
On Facebook, a page dedicated to the memory of a slain teacher, Victoria Soto, 27, addressed a post to Ms. Kelly and the network: “Alex and his followers have done nothing but make our lives a living hell for the last 4½ years,” it said. “This incessant need for ratings at the cost of the emotional well-being of our family is disgusting and disappointing.”
Alex Jones has also demanded NBC yank the interview because he says the network used deceptive editing to cast him in a monstrous light.
I’m calling for @megynkelly to cancel the airing of our interview for misrepresenting my views on Sandy Hook – https://t.co/TfLEPHEYrd
— Alex Jones (@RealAlexJones) June 12, 2017
Kelly’s first two Sunday night shows were drubbed in the ratings by a rerun of 60 Minutes.
Given all the controversy surrounding this Alex Jones interview, if it does not juice Kelly’s ratings, it may be the final nail in the coffin for her show as a viable primetime entity.